Happy New Year everyone! 2021 has been a rollercoaster year for me, but I’m grateful for all the people who have supported me through it. Below is my reflection on the highlights and challenges of the year, plus my reading, writing and blogging stats. Though I didn’t achieve all my goals, I’m still proud of myself for doing my best despite the curve balls that life threw at me. I hope you are reflecting on your own year with kindness too. Just to get through these crazy times is an achievement in my book!
Highlights of 2021
- Successfully completing the Blogging from A-Z Challenge (April)
- Family holiday in Devon for my husband’s Grandma’s 100th birthday (May)
- Family holiday in Hunstanton (August)
- Having my brother and sister-in-law to stay (August & December)
- Having my youngest sister to stay (August)
- My first author event, Boston Book Festival (Sept)
- My short story “Beneath the Roots” being published in Fall Into Fantasy: 2021 (Sept)
- My sister’s wedding (Oct)
- Visiting the pumpkin patch, carving jack-o-lanterns and having our own little Halloween party (Oct)
- Getting to spend Christmas with my family (Dec)
- My daughter’s 6th birthday (Dec)
Challenges of 2021
- Working from home and helping my daughter with home learning during lockdown (Jan-Feb)
- My daughter isolating with Covid-19 (Oct)
- My daughter being diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (Nov)
- My husband’s Grandma passing away (Dec)
I didn’t quite reach my goal of 30 books this year, but I’m still pleased with myself as I didn’t feel like reading at all for the last couple of months. For more about my favourite books of 2021, see 2021 Annual Wrap-Up Part 2.
Top 5 books:
- The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
- I Am Change by Suzy Zail
- Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce
- Scared to Death by Anthony Horowitz
- They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera
My daughter’s favourite book: The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton.
Blog posts: 51
Words written: 23,226
Events participated in: Blogging from A-Z Challenge, WEP Feb Flash-Fic Challenge
Most active month of blogging: April
New WP followers: 6
Top 5 popular posts:
- Golden Summer (Inspired by the Kiss) WEP Flash-Fiction
- A is for Afterlife
- A-Z Challenge 2021 Theme Reveal
- A Family Wedding, Covid-19 and NaNoWriMo
- Reflections on my First Author Event
New followers/subscribers: 32 to my email newsletter, 18 to FB author page, 42 on Twitter.
New short stories: 1 (unpublished)
New flash-fic: 1 (“Golden Summer“)
Publications: “Beneath the Roots” in Fall Into Fantasy 2021 from Cloaked Press.
Favourites of 2021
Songs: “Blinding Lights” by The Weeknd, “Easy On Me” by Adele, “Cold Heart” by Elton John and Dua Lipa, “Levitating” by Dua Lipa and DaBaby, “Stay” by The Kid LAROI & Justin Bieber, “Shivers” by Ed Sheeran, “I am Woman” by Emmy Meli, “Rasputin” by Boney M & Majestic.
TV shows: Loki, WandaVision, Hawkeye, Line of Duty, Silent Witness, The Great British Bakeoff, Call the Midwife.
Films: Spiderman: No Way Home, Raya and the Last Dragon, Free Guy, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Black Widow, Luca.
See Part 2 for my end of the year book survey!
How was your year? What are your favourite memories? Did you achieve any goals or overcome challenges?
Look like you have a great year of reading. Hope 2022 will be good as well.
Thanks, Marianna. You too!
This past year was definitely a challenging one and 2022 is starting off that way too. I enjoyed the graphic of accomplishments to celebrate and only wish I had a color printer so I could hang this in my office. Choosing kindness and making people smile has been my goal all year.
Yes, not the best start to 2022 so far but let’s hope things can improve. Kindness is so important at the moment as everyone is dealing with so much worry and pressure. It’s the little things that brighten someone’s day and they don’t usually cost much. I hope this year gets better for you.