The Latest in my Life
The last couple of months have been pretty eventful. I attended my first in-person author event and performed in a dance show. I’ve also had school opening evenings, medical appointments and social events galore.
The best event, though, was my sister and brother-in-law’s wedding. I was a bridesmaid and my daughter was a flower girl. We had such a brilliant day with close family and friends.
Unfortunately, my daughter tested positive for Covid-19 last weekend, so my husband and I had to take turns going to work on the last week of term. Thankfully, she has had very mild symptoms (just fatigue and a runny nose). Her isolation period ends tomorrow, but I’ve had a sore throat and headaches so we are testing daily to be on the safe side. We’re all at home for the half-term break anyway, so I’m catching up with all my writing and blogging tasks while I have the chance.
If we are all ok by Wednesday, we are hoping to visit the local pumpkin patch with friends. I need to get hold of pumpkins whatever happens as my sister has practically begged me to make my pumpkin pie! I might share the recipe in a few days. I always enjoy carving pumpkins with my daughter, too.
- I had a brilliant time at Boston Book Fest last month. You can find out all about my experience here.
- Fall Into Fantasy 2021 was released on September 21st. It’s a fantasy anthology from Cloaked Press that contains my Slavic mythology story, “Beneath the Roots”.
- I recently finished writing another short story based on ancient Lithuanian mythology. It’s a comedy fantasy called “Honey, I Shrunk the Earth”. I’ve entered it into a competition but won’t hear anything until December.
- I’ve just signed up for NaNoWriMo, though I’m not being strict about the 50K word goal. I’m just hoping to get more of my science fantasy novel written and feel inspired again. I’d love more NaNo buddies, so please add me (phoenixlife) if you’re taking part.
- I’m considering entering the Winter of Wonder anthology call, but I’m running out of time…
Sign Up for my Email Newsletter!
The autumn edition of my email newsletter, Daydreamer’s Digest, will be going out in the next day or two. Please sign up here if you’d like to receive bookish news, deals and giveaways.
I recently read I Am Change by Suzy Zail for work, which was very powerful and emotional (review coming soon). I’ve also just finished Warwick Eede’s new fantasy-Western comic, Human Beings Issue 1, which is really intriguing. I’m now reading a fantasy book called The Malestrom by Matthew Barnes.
- We recently finished watching Ghosts on BBC iPlayer, which stars the cast of Horrible Histories. It was nice watching something silly and light-hearted for a change.
- We’ve almost finished this series of Silent Witness, and I’ve enjoyed all the twists and turns. The tension between Nicki and Jack is almost unbearable, though. Please, just get together so I can die happy!
- We’re tuning in to The Great British Bake Off every Tuesday. I’m a big fan of Jürgen. He must be protected at all costs.
- We watched Free Guy with Ryan Reynolds last night. It was like a cross between Ready Player One and The Trueman Show. It was quite fun.
Quote of the Week
It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog. This is your news post, so personalize it! Include as much as you want or as little. Be creative, it can be a vlog or just a showcase of your goodies. Link up once a week or once a month, you decide. Book haul can include library books, yard sale finds, arcs and bought books..share them!~Kimberly
Do you have any plans for Halloween? Have you read or watched anything interesting lately? Do you have any news to share? Let me know in the comments!