Today I’m honoured to be interviewing the wonderful author Deborah Solice. Her story, ‘Fearless Heart’ will be published alongside my own inMasquerade: Oddly Suited, a young-adult romance anthology from The Insecure Writer’s Support Group which is coming out on 30th April 2019!
Interview with Deborah Solice, author of Fearless Heart
1) What’s your elevator pitch for Fearless Heart?
FEARLESS HEART is the story of a young girl struggling to find her way after her beloved parents’ death. Help comes from an unexpected source, one that reaches beyond logic, beyond life and death, shedding the boundaries of time. Was he real? In disguise? Or a figment of her imagination?
2) What led you to a career in writing?
Writing stories for curriculum that crossed academic subjects.
3) What other authors or books have you been influenced by?
Nora Roberts, Pierce Brown, James Dashner, Lois Lowry.
4) What prompted you to enter the IWSG anthology competition?
The promo. I read the ‘topic’ and really wanted to be a part of the process.
5) What’s your usual writing and editing process?
I first plot— an overall plot, not an outline. Then I write. When I get to a place where I feel like I can stop, I’ll reread, and the teacher in me will edit and revise. Then, I’ll write more. Edit and Revise. I continue until the end of the story. Then, I’ll edit and revise again. All along the way, I have beta readers who let me know when things just aren’t working.
6) Do you have a favourite place that you like to write?
I like to write at my desk, on my sofa and in bed! It just depends on what time of day it is.
7) What song best represents Fearless Heart?
Warriors by Imagine Dragons.
8) What emotions do you hope Fearless Heart will evoke for the reader?
Hope, Devastation, Love, Determination.
9) What is your top writing tip?
Like your characters, whether they are heroes or villains.
10) What do you enjoy doing when you’re not writing?
Traveling. I live in Russia for nine months out of the year, so I travel around Europe a lot. In the summer I go home and travel around in the states.
11) What have you enjoyed most about working on and promoting the anthology?
Getting to know like-minded people.
Thank you, Deborah! I’m so excited to read Fearless Heart and learn more about your characters. I’s been a pleasure working with you to promote the book.
Avoiding the trials of living in an ‘empty nest’, Deborah Solice chose to embark on teaching adventures in the Middle East and most recently in Russia where she teaches middle schoolers. Deborah writes both adult romantic suspense and YA/NA speculative fiction. Her work is published in anthologies and as five full-length novels in the works, as well.
About Masquerade: Oddly Suited
Title: Masquerade: Oddly Suited
Release date: April 30th, 2019
Publisher: Dancing Lemur Press
Genres: Young Adult Fiction: Romance – General / Paranormal / Contemporary
Print ISBN: 9781939844644
EBook ISBN: 9781939844651
Find love at the ball…
Can a fake dating game show lead to love? Will a missing key free a clock-bound prince? Can a softball pitcher and a baseball catcher work together? Is there a vampire living in Paradise, Newfoundland? What’s more important—a virtual Traveler or a virtual date to the ball?
Ten authors explore young love in all its facets, from heartbreak to budding passion. Featuring the talents of L.G. Keltner, Jennifer Lane, C.D. Gallant-King, Elizabeth Mueller, Angela Brown, Myles Christensen, Deborah Solice, Carrie-Anne Brownian, Anstice Brown, and Chelsea Marie Ballard.
Hand-picked by a panel of agents and authors, these ten tales will mystify and surprise even as they touch your heart. Don your mask and join the party…
Oddly Suited, LG Keltner
The silliest situations may be oddly suited for romance.
Behind the Catcher’s Mask, Jennifer Lane
Who can help her through a meltdown on the pitcher’s mound?
The Dark Charade, CD Gallant-King
The new girl in town falls in love for a mysterious boy who is maybe, probably, most definitely, a vampire.
The Cog Prince, Elizabeth Mueller
Falling in love, saving the day, and a masque—oh my! Will a missing key free a clock-bound prince?
A Diver’s Ball, Angela Brown
You can be anything you want in the online world of Cumulus. A human. An elf. A powerful beast mutation from your wildest imagination. But can you be in love?
Flower of Ronda, Myles Christensen
What if life’s price of servanthood could be changed?
Fearless Heart, Deborah Solice
Is he a figment of her imagination conjured to keep her sane, or is he something else…something more?
Charleston Masquerade, Carrie-Anne Brownian
Can two worlds come together and find love?
Sea of Sorrows, Anstice Brown
What could a shapeshifting siren know about love?
Remedy, Chelsea Marie Ballard
Everything is against Remy and Rudy, but on the night of the Masquerade Ball, they must choose: each other or their lives?
You can find out more about the authors of Masquerade: Oddly Suited here.
The authors of Masquerade: Oddly Suited are giving away a $50 Amazon gift card to one winner. To enter, please complete the Rafflecopter below. The giveaway is open internationally from 12:00 am GMT 17th March to 12:00am GMT 6th May.
Visit the other blog tour hosts below to find out more about the stories and authors featured in Masquerade: Oddly Suited.
- Mon 18th March: Spotlight @ The Story of a Writer
- Fri 22nd March: Guest post by Anstice Brown @ Nicki Elson’s Not-So-Deep Thoughts
- Sun 24th March: Interview with Jennifer Lane @ Nancee Cain, Romance with a Serrated Edge
- Tues 26th March: Guest post by Angela Brown @ Blog of Author J Lenni Dorner
- Wed 27th March: Debut author spotlight @ Operation Awesome
- Fri 29th March: Spotlight @ April Blogging from A-Z Challenge
- Mon 1st April: Interview with Deborah
Solice@ Dusting the Soul
- Thurs 4th April: Spotlight @ Elements of Emaginette
- Fri 5th April: Guest post by C.D Gallant-King @ Writer’s Gambit
- Mon 8th April: Interview with Elizabeth Mueller @ Just Jemi
- Fri 12th April: Guest post by Carrie-Anne Brownian @ Jennifer Lane Books
- Mon 15th April: Guest post by Chelsea Marie Ballard @ My Pet Blog
- Tues 16th April: Guest post by Myles Christensen @ Quiet Fury Books
- Mon 22nd April: Interview with all the authors @ Alex J. Cavanaugh
- Sat 4th May: Interview with L.G Keltner @The Cynical Sailor & His Salty Sidekick
Before you go…
Are you looking forward to reading Deborah’s story, Fearless Heart? Let me know what you enjoyed about her interview in the comments.