|[Public domain image]|
Today I’m continuing with the Blogging from A-Z Challenge hosted by Arlee Bird and his team of awesome bloggers. My theme is: Elements and features of speculative fiction and entertainment. So throughout April I will be blogging about characters, objects and themes that appear in sci-fi, fantasy and dystopian series.
Today’s post is all about Chimeras. A chimera is a monster from Greek mythology made up of the parts of three different animals-a lion, a serpent and a goat. Nowadays the term has come to describe any mythical animal with parts taken from various animals, or to describe wildly imaginative concepts.
A Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Chimeras in Other Series
- In Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, a chimera is described to have the head of a lion, a goat’s body, and the tail of a dragon. The Ministry of Magic classifies them as XXXXX (very dangerous). Also, in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Elphias Doge is said to have encountered Chimeras in Greece.
- In The Lightning Thief, Percy Jackson battles the Chimera and his mother, Echidna at the top of Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri.
- In Once Upon a Time season 2 episode 3, Snow White, Emma and Lancelot have a meal at which Chimera meat is served. The animal is described as “one part lion, one part serpent, one part goat”.
- The character Beast from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast is a Chimera like creature, with the horns of a bison, brows of a gorilla, nose and mane of a lion, the back mane of a hyena, the tusks of a boar, the arms and chest of a bear and the hind legs and tail of a wolf.
- A Chimera appears in the 2012 film Wrath of the Titans as the first creature Perseus fights and is presented as a colossal double headed beast with huge bat wings.
Have you read any books featuring chimeras?