Today it’s time to recommend some fun and useful links, blogs and resources that I’ve stumbled upon during the week:
- Check out F. Scott Fitzgerald’s Secret to Great Writing. The author of The Great Gatsby gives some inspirational advice to would-be writers, such as this: “Nobody ever became a writer just by wanting to be one. If you have anything to say, anything you feel nobody has ever said before, you have got to feel it so desperately that you will find some way to say it that nobody has ever found before…”
- Brainpickings.org has a wealth of advice from famous authors, including Zadie Smith’s 10 Rules of Writing, Neil Gamain’s 8 Rules and Margaret Atwood’s 10 Practical Tips.
- The Writer’s In the Storm blog asks: What is your goal as a writer? and discusses trying to get back to the original goal that we had at the start of our writing journey.
- Trying to get published? Take a look at this guest post over at I Am a Reader Not a Writer, which features advice from A.G Howard, author of Splintered.
- If you’re feeling a little insecure about your writing, check out this list of inspiring quotes from famous people compiled by Roland Yeomans.
- Gennifer Albin discusses what happens when writers come up with new ideas and gives some great advice: “Wannabe writers create Shiny, Happy Ideas. Writers create books.” Read the full blog post here.
- Agent Query Connect is a social network for writers and others in the publishing industry. There are forums where you can get query critiques, find out about agents and their submission guidelines, learn about the publishing process and more.
- Read these 25 Hard Truths About Writing and Publishing to gain some perspective.
- Check out Writer Beware to familiarise yourself with current scams targeted at writers. Better to be safe than sorry!
- What UK Fiction Editors Want 2013 is a great guide to what different publishers are looking for this year. Could it be your book they’re missing?
- I’m signing up for Write Despite– a challenge to write for 20 mins every day for a year. They say writing daily is one of the best things you can do if you want to improve your skills and hone your craft, or just to get a first draft down on paper.
- Some Like it Paranormal is hosting an amazing giveaway! The prizes are a choice of a Kindle Fire HD (US only), $199 Amazon Gift Card (International) or $199 in Paypal Cash (International). Contest ends on 31st Jan.
- Vote for your five favourite reads of 2012 in the Teen Choice Awards.
- Craft Gawker is a cool crafty site with visual tutorials. If you like Pinterest then this is right up your street!
- This article on 33 things you can turn into chalkboards, had me and my fiance in stitches. Some could be quite handy I guess…but spoons? And that fireplace…oh man.
Leave a Reply