Earlier this week I made some Easter cupcakes for M with chocolate sponge and orange butercream topping. They make the perfect Easter treat. You could give them to your family as an alternative to chocolate eggs or just serve them as a treat after your Easter meal.
My recipe (makes 12 cupcakes at roughly 270 kcals each).
Ingredients for cakes:
125g softened butter
125g caster sugar
2 medium eggs
100g self-raising flour
2 tbsp milk
3 level tbsp cocoa powder
Ingredients for topping:
87.5g softened butter
175g icing sugar
3 tbsp boiling water
Few drops of orange flavour oil
24-36 mini chocolate eggs
Few drops yellow food coloring
1) Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy.
2) And the eggs and milk, sift over the flour and cocoa powder, then beat until the mixture is smooth and brown. 3) Spoon mixture into twelve silicon cupcake moulds (or a cupcake tray)
4) Bake in the oven for approximately 8-12 minutes AT ABOUT 180 degrees until raised and brown.
5) While the cupcakes are baking, start making the topping. Beat the butter in a bowl to soften it.
6) And the icing sugar, boiling water, orange oil and food coloring and beat until the icing is smooth and a consistent bright yellow color. Pop the buttercream in the fridge so it doesn’t melt.
7) Remove cupcakes from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
8) When the cupcakes are cool, use a spoon to cover them with the yellow buttercream. Don’t worry if you’re messy-it only makes them look yummier!
9) Pop them into bright colored cupcake cases and add two or three chocolate mini eggs to the top and you’re done!